I don’t know about you, but I love eating with my hands. As much as I enjoy salads, I find being able to pick something up and put it in my mouth a much more satisfying eating experience! What I love about these little rounds of joy is that they are so quick and easy to make. Using thinly sliced beetroot as a replacement cracker has become one of my staples. It’s fresh, you don’t need a dehydrator, and it’s ready to top in about 3 minutes!
You can follow this simple but very tasty recipe below, or create your own topping. Enjoy as a snack, or with a big mound of greens for a colourful, nutritious meal. These also make great canapes for a dinner party!
EASY BEETROOT AND GUACAMOLE ROUNDS
- 1 beetroot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 4-5 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into pieces*
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Smoked paprika
To make the guacamole, cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh. Place in a blender. Add the garlic powder, extra-virgin olive oil, lime juice and water. Blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place your thinly sliced beetroot rounds on a plate. Top each one with some grated carrot, then guacamole, then top further with some pieces of sun-dried tomatoes. Sprinkle each one with a touch of smoked paprika and black pepper and there you go! Will serve 1-2.
* If I am using sun-dried tomatoes that are in a jar of olive oil, I don’t tend to soak them. I just squeeze the excess oil off and eat as they are. If you are using dry sun-dried tomatoes (which tend to be extremely salty), you should soak them for around 30 minute prior to using.